- What sort of building (website) do you want?
- How many offices (activities)?
- What finishes (pictures, graphics, backgrounds) do you need?
- What impression do you want to give your customers as they drive into the parking lot (enter your website)?
- What do your customers want from you when they come to your office? Pick up information, chat to an executive, have a coffee, close a deal? You design your offices to meet your customers needs. You have to do the same thing for your website.
Of course, we would all like to have the biggest and best corporate office to show how successful we are. Sadly though, we usually discover that our budget and our desires don't agree. However, if you have a plan that can accommodate growth you won't have an office block that becomes a hotchpotch of add-ons. You need to plan your website the same way.
Does one need to be hosted? Can one host one's own domain?
I am not a builder, but I am able to construct a building if I want to. It will be extremely foolish of me as I haven't a clue where to start and I wouldn't know if things were going wrong until too late. There have been quite a few examples of buildings falling down recently because the builders have not had the skills or followed recommended building standards.
So, if you don't know anything about hosting websites you need to get an Internet Service Provider (ISP) to host your website for you. They have the equipment, the software and the knowledge to provide you with a good, reliable service and security against Spammers and Viruses that can attack your website. I have an excellent Service Provider that allows me to look after your website for you.
Also, how do we secure the domain name we want?
The best way to do this is to get whoever is going to host your site for you to do the search and register the domain name. Domain names are registered for 1 or 2 years and will cost you between R100 and R300 depending on the name you want.
What are your monthly fees?
Let us pretend that you are the consultant on my office building project?
- How will you calculate your fees?
- How much time do I want me on site? (Every day, once a week or once a month?). At least with a building you can see what is physically happening. With a website it all happens behind the scenes. Software programmes need to be updated to keep your website safe. If you use a Smartphone. you will know how often the programmes or apps get updated.
- What activities are you responsible for? Supervise the labour, help me select finishes, do maintenance, pay wages etc. Because a website isn't a physical lump of concrete that your customers can drive by and be reminded about you, you need to work harder to get people to visit your site. You need to constantly have fresh new stories and pictures and then you have to tell them about all the new content. This is where newsletters and social media is so important. What are you going to do yourself and which tasks are you going to pay someone else to do? If your skill is building, should you be uploading pictures and articles onto your website?
If your skill is building, should you be uploading pictures and articles onto your website?
What is the cost to be taught how to manage our own website?
If a builder was asked this question, they would need to know what your knowledge is about plumbing, electrical work, painting etc that you have? In the same way in order for you to manage your own website I need to know what level of computer, internet, and social media skills you have.
Where do I have to start with the teaching process? Can you use a computer? Do you have reliable internet access? Do you know how to manage images? Do you understand how to use Social Media?
- Can you use a computer? Do you have reliable internet access? Do you know how to manage images? Do you understand how to use Social Media?
- Do you have reliable internet access? Do you know how to manage images? Do you understand how to use Social Media?
- Do you know how to manage images? Do you understand how to use Social Media?
- Do you understand how to use Social Media?
- Do you know how to measure who is visiting your website?
- Do you know how to write newsletters?
Remember: Having a website is only the beginning. You need to draw your visitors to your website and keep them coming back again and again.
Finally! What exactly does your expertise entail?
- I have been using computers since the mid 80's and the internet ever since it arrived in South Africa.
- Before we had Content Management Websites which use WordPress and Joomla I created websites using FrontPage and Dreamweaver.
- I understand about creating websites that Google and other Search Engines can easily track which helps visitors find you.
- I am passionate about Social Media and I am very active on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Google+. I know how to measure and analyse who visits your sites and Social Media pages
- I love to write articles and newsletters and can write on a variety of topics.
- Having been in business for over 30 years I understand that your website and social media have to be part of your business. It is not just an add on. You need to integrate it into your whole marketing plan.
- Dave, my partner is skilled in graphic design so if you need a logo or special designs created we have the skills in-house to do this.
We look forward to helping you take your company digital!